Free Newsletters About Feng Shui!

Enter your Email


Old Songs That Bring Back Memories

Nothing brings back memories more vividly than songs whose music take us back to another time and place and where the lyrics touch a chord so deep they bring tears to our eyes. Especially love songs. Or songs that allow our hearts to speak with an eloquence we do not ourselves have. And then it is the memory of some forgotten joy that grabs at our soul and lifts it sky high.

Old Songs That Bring Back Memories

Whatever age you are, you cannot fail to be moved by the words of a Favorite song or be touched by the lyrical notes of a Familiar melody. When I watched My Best Friends Wedding all the songs they selected gave my heart a lift, and more than the movie, I enjoyed the mood it got me in. Of course, we all love Julia Roberts but it was how she looked, pensive and achingly trying to reach out to a best friend who is marrying someone else as their song plays softly ... The Way You Look Tonight. Since watching that movie which also introduced us to the delightful Cameron Diaz this melody has always given me a lift. I am reminded of all the values that were so skillfully woven into place and most of all the strength that was portrayed in the JULIA character!

Read are the lyrics of the song.., it is played twice in the movie. Go to YOUTUBE and watch it ... First the Julia character on the boat with him, then in the final scene at the wedding reception ... and let the song lift your spirits.

Another great song that I know many of you can and will easily identify with is that incredible great hit The Way We Were sung by the one and only Barbra Streisand ... a singer who epitomized my generation and was so achingly talented we yearned to have just a tiny bit of her talent.

This was the song that inspired me to go to America to study. I loved the movie and was so taken by the ambiance of American College life that I made a promise to myself to try and make it there. I was already working then at MIDA the Government agency looking after foreign investments. In my job, I met with American investors many freshly graduated from Business or law school and talking to them, I knew I had to go, and of course I did. When you want something badly enough, it always happens.

But after watching the movie I ached miserably when the two characters separated at the end - loving each other so much, yet each going their separate way because they knew they could not create a life together, being so different. The actor who played opposite Barbra was the heartthrob of my generation, Robert Redford ... ah how me and my Uni friends adored him, although the bubble rather burst for me when I actually bumped into him in a New York delicatessen (exactly like in the movie) and saw Oh my gosh how really short he was! Still the song has continued to take me to places my heart rarely goes to these days. It takes me back to the lawn in front of baker library at the Harvard business school ... 

Here are the words of the song ... those of you belonging to the same vintage as I, let the song reawaken some long forgotten memory. Let it remind you of a time when you were young and energetic, strong and perhaps just a little impulsive. Where did all the courage of our youth go to? For those too young to know either the song or the singer, let Barbra Streisand and her magnificent voice lull you into a state of bliss.

The third song is a song that everyone who has ever been to a karaoke evening is certain to know! It is a song that every able bodied man knows. From CEO's to tycoons to professionals and leaders of every genre - the song immortalized by Frank Sinatra has successfully encapsulated the inner voice of every macho man.

 
Yes, everyone of our husbands or fathers who have ever been called on to sing in public want to do it their way. Does not matter how many times we listen to it. The lyrics seduce us into our own special inner world, makes us feel truly good about ourselves. It lifts up our spirits way up high and enables us to stick out our chests and proudly proclaim "I did it my way!"


So check the words so that you never have to look at a tiny TV screen to sing this again. Now you can absorb the lyrics deep into your soul so that it gives you a real lift for the bright new year! To find out more, you can check out Old Songs That Bring Back Memories.